While I cannot take credit for the recipe for the flatbreads (all credit is due to Dan Lepard), I can take credit for the two awesome topping ideas I came up with recently: first, a flatbread topped with sausage meat and fennel and, secondly, a spicy meatlover’s feast.
Fennel sausage flatbread
Toppings for 1 flatbread, ideal for sharing and plenty of dinner for greedy eaters like myself
1/2 of the quantity of Dan’s wholemeal flatbread recipe
4 good quality pork sausages, about 5inch long
1.5 tsp fennel seeds
1 bulb fresh fennel, sliced vertically
1 tbsp cream cheese
1 fresh mozzarella ball, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves
Olive oil for frying
1. Once your flatbread dough is ready for us, roll out thinly and place on an oiled baking sheet. Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees.
2. Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan and crumble your sausage meat into the pan. Add the garlic, the sliced fennel and the fennel seeds and gently fry on medium heat until the sausage meat is cooked and the fennel has started to caramelise.
3. Carefully spread your cream cheese on your flatbread, being careful not to tear the dough.
4. Scatter the sausage meat and the fried fennel over the pizza (discarding the garlic once you find it), spooning over many juices from the pan (no one said this was a diet-approved recipe!), scatter with the mozzarella cheese and place in the oven for ca. 7 minutes until the dough is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Although this makes a pretty large pizza-like flatbread that could easily be shared, I polishednthis off all by myself …
1/2 the quantity of Dan’s wholemeal flatbread recipe
2 good quality pork sausages, ca. 5inch long
Pickled jalapeño peppers, sliced, quantity to taste
2 tbsp chopped tomatoes (the kind that comes in a cardboard box)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Grated mozzarella cheese, as much as you like
1 tsp fennel seeds
Chilli flakes, to taste
1. Start by frying your sausage meat with the fennel seeds and a little olive oil on medium heat until the sausage meat is cooked. Add your chilli flakes and set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
3. Roll out the dough and carefully place onto a greased baking sheet.
4. Spoon the chopped tomatoes on the dough, scatter over the fried sausage meat, the jalapeños, the sliced onion and cover with grated cheese.